Thursday, April 17, 2008

The next generation of Goodwill Ambassadors

One of the great opportunities available to Airport Authority employees is to participate in our annual Take Your Child To Work Day (also known at Take Your Daughters And Sons To Work Day). The children who come to 'work' that day are typically divided into two groups: 13 and older; and younger than 13. This year, I have the privilege of leading the employee team that is creating the agenda for the older group of kids.

I'll start at the very beginning of how this came about! It's not a big secret that I just LOVE kids! I've written in the past about the opportunities for internship positions at the Airport Authority, as well as how I was able to involve my own kids in my career as they were growing up. For me, this is where I feel I can be the best Goodwill Ambassador for the Airport Authority.

Recently, I was very sick at home on the couch, wishing I was anywhere else but there at the moment. As I was checking e-mails, I came across one from my co-worker Kim in Human Resources (she has the privilege of being the ultimate leader of this event … and to think that I was chewing my nails just over being asked to work with the group of older kids!) But I am getting ahead of myself here! I read her e-mail, which simply states: “I understand you have agreed to lead the Careers In Aviation (older kids) group for the Take Your Child To Work Day this year.”

My first thought was, "I am actually sick … so maybe I had some kind of out-of-body experience that I just don’t remember! My usual preference is to work with the younger kids, so I was feeling pretty intimidated by this statement. I called Kim to make sure of what I was supposed to do. We agreed to meet once I was back in the office and feeling better. And, as they say, “The rest is history!”

I have an incredible team of co-workers that have also agreed to participate in making this a fun- filled, but most importantly, an educational, experience for our kids. I can’t give anything away about what we are planning for them … so check back to see what the "CIA" Team will be doing for their day at San Diego International Airport!

It is all going to take place next week on Thursday, April 24 - so get ready to help create the next generation of Airport Authority Goodwill Ambassadors!

No comments:

Ambassa-Shots

Photographs of life around Lindbergh Field

Mural of the airport's namesake, Charles Lindbergh, by John Jay Whalen on the east side of the Commuter Terminal

Guillermo sculpture at Terminal 1 East

Moonrise over Lindbergh Field, by Joan Van Tassel
Blog Directory - Blogged