Friday, September 5, 2008

Welcome home

When I returned from vacation this summer, I was pleased that my flight landed at Gate 2 in Terminal 1. When you travel through Gates 1 and 2 here at San Diego International Airport, you’re greeted by a lovely piece of art that really reflects the spirit of San Diego. It’s quite a lovely welcome home!

It's called Day at the Beach and is by artist Tracy Sabin. He’s a local artist from Carlsbad. The beautiful tile mosaic was installed in the airport in 2005 and depicts a beach scene much like you might find on any San Diego beach.

Here are two photos of the mosaic: above is one of the entire piece of art I took right after I landed in San Diego, and at the top is a closeup. I was tired when I arrived, but that’s the power of art – noticing the artwork warmed my heart to be home in good ol’ San Diego ... and it inspired me to take a photo to remember it.

I like how the individual mosaic tiles make it seem like the sea is sparkling. Beach, anyone?

Look for more information about our Airport Art Program in future posts!

No comments:

Ambassa-Shots

Photographs of life around Lindbergh Field

Mural of the airport's namesake, Charles Lindbergh, by John Jay Whalen on the east side of the Commuter Terminal

Guillermo sculpture at Terminal 1 East

Moonrise over Lindbergh Field, by Joan Van Tassel
Blog Directory - Blogged